Pages

Thursday 14 January 2016

Summer Learning Journey - Day 6 Bonus

I decided to also do an extra bonus activity for day 6 of my Summer Learning Journey. In this task I had to do a quick google search or ask someone in your family for a recipe for a traditional New Zealand dish (e.g. steak and cheese pie).
For my traditional New Zealand dish, I chose Pavlova. This is a recipe on how to make pavlova.

Ingredients 
  • 6 egg whites, at room temperature
  • pinch of salt
  • 1½ cups caster sugar
  • 2 tsp cornflour
  • 1 tsp vinegar
Topping:
  • 3 punnets fresh mixed berries, eg raspberries, blueberries and hulled and halved strawberries
To make a pavlova you really need an electric beater and egg whites that are not too fresh. If they are the pavlova will weep.
Heat the oven to 180°C (not fanbake). Line a baking tray with baking paper and mark a circle about 16cm diameter with a plate. Place the egg whites into the clean bowl of an electric beater. Add the salt and beat until stiff. Slowly add the sugar with the beater running. Beat for about 10 minutes at high speed until the meringue is thick and glossy – it should be thick enough not to fall from the beater. Last of all, whisk in the cornflour and vinegar. Use a big spoon to drop dollops of meringue into the circled area of baking paper. Form into a circle of meringue, making swirls with the spoon on the top rather than flattening to a neat tidy disc. 
Bake at 180°C for 5 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 130°C and cook a further hour. Turn off oven and leave pavlova to cool in the oven. 

9 comments:

  1. I have always wanted a good pavlova recipe!! thanks for posting this! it looks great. I can't wait to try it.
    I'm really enjoying all your posts - looking forward to the next one, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, what a classic choice! Thanks so much for posting this recipe for us to try, Sajiha. It does look delicious. I remember having my first ever pavlova when I was living in the UK. I had a housemate from Palmerston North who was teaching at a local school and she made us a pavlova for Christmas. It was the most unusual dessert that I had ever had. It is not common to make or eat meringues in Canada so it was all a brand new idea for me and I loved it!

    I particularly like it with fresh kiwi fruit and strawberries on the top. What is your favourite way to make/eat pavolva, Sajiha? Is it something that you and your family eat on a regular basis?

    Please keep up the great blogging! I, like Suzanne, am really enjoying reading your posts and am looking forward to the next one already :)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Sajiha!

    I hope that you are having a lovely day. I am writing to you with some very good news. It is now the end of Week 2 of the Summer Learning Journey and you have now blogged so much that you've earned the top spot (Most Active Blogger) for Panmure Bridge School. Congratulations!

    I have updated the Summer Learning Journey website so that your name is now beside the first place medal for Week 2. Sebastian M and Shailah H are in 2nd and 3rd place respectively. I hope that you will continue to blog over the next week and retain your first place standing. It's awesome!

    Hope to see you online again soon :)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sajiha. I like your recipe for pavlova. It sound delicious and I really want to have some right now! I think I will ask my mum to make it some day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sajiha

    Your pavlova post is amazing and explained so simply! I love your image it looks mouth watering. You did an amazing job well done ill try making it some day.

    From Zeba

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sajiha,

    Pavlova!! Thanks for posting the recipe! I must admit, I have never made one myself, but I think I will need to sometime in the next year or so, as I am now living in Germany and this will be one of the desserts I will miss! I especially like how your recipe includes tips (e.g. about the eggs) and really nice detailed instructions - great choice of recipe! I am also curious... what is your favourite fruit for the topping? I love kiwifruit and strawberries, but I did spot a photo of one with passionfruit and blueberries - what do you think?

    Enjoy the summer!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kia ora Sajiha,

    This is a friendly reminder that tomorrow (Tuesday 26 January) is the final day of the Summer Learning Journey. If you're keen to earn more points and be in to win cool prizes please log onto the Summer Learning Journey site, complete any of the 14 days' worth of activities and post a blog.

    I'll check back in tomorrow to see if you've posted anything new. I hope that you're able to re-join our journey before it comes to an end!

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. I also wanted to draw your attention to the Blogging Award that has been posted on your site. You earned it by participating in the Summer Learning Journey this year. Congratulations!!

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sajiha, your recipe of the Pavlova cake it looks delicious and i'm sure it taste delicious too, thank you for the recipe, I can't wait to make it one day :)
    I hope you have a nice summer,
    Eunice

    ReplyDelete