Pages

Monday 25 May 2015

Camp Recount

A Leap Of Faith

My first time taking a leap of faith that will forever stay in my memory. I had accepted the challenge to walk along the high beam with a rope of my lifeline. I made sure my harness was safe and secure before taking my first steps across the log. My harness was tightened onto my body which helped me overcome my worst fear - falling!

Once I reached the top, I could see a beautiful view of Hunua Ranges with it’s thousands of trees and the flooded waterfall. I didn’t know whether to smile or groan. I had already walked to the end of the log, but now i need to walk back to the middle. Words of encouragement had made everything much easier even though I was out of my comfort zone. Photos were being taken and team members were cheering.

I hugged the pole which felt like my new best friend only for a few seconds until someone called my name and asked me to turn around and walk to the middle again. I was wrong, wishing it could end. But I had to get everything over with so I wouldn’t be left with any regrets. So, I slowly, took a small footstep. After I had reached the middle, I had to jump off the high beam as it was the only way to get down. All of my trust was in one piece of rope and my dear friends and instructor controlling the rope.

Thankfully, that experience had helped me overcome my fear of heights. I don’t think I have ever been happier being on the muddy, wet ground. Everything was over which gave me a huge sigh of relief. I felt proud that I had achieved something I never imagined I could. I was finally able to breath
properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment